Ten Reasons Not to Hire a Professional Graphic Designer
- You really, really like Comic Sans and think it is perfect typeface for all your business documents.
- I don’t need graphics. I just want a company logo, brochure, website and trade show booth.
- Joe, the IT guy, knows how to stretch and squish photos and place them into PowerPoint to make cool trifolds we can just print out on our desktop printer.
- Because you KNOW that people will look at your ad longer if you fill every inch of it with all the information they ever needed to know about your product.
- You have all the special effects you could ever need in Microsoft PowerPoint. You know, like rainbow gradients and bevel emboss.
- Microsoft Office comes with great clip art.
- Your neighbor’s niece is taking a Photoshop class in Junior College and has offered to design your website for free. (Did you see the sample of her totally awesome work included in this blog?)
- White space is bad. Those pesky designers are always wasting valuable space that could be filled with star bursts announcing the newness of our latest product updates.
- You know that justifying your paragraphs enhances the visual rivers created with double spacing after a period. You do this on purpose to bring back fond memories of fishing trips with your dad. Those darn designers always want to fix them therefore ruining the effect you so carefully created.
- Kinko’s doesn’t suck. They do a rip-roaring job on all my important collateral.
- Default 12pt Times New Roman type with auto leading is easier for my great-grandmother to read than any of those fancy fonts designers use.
OOPS! That’s eleven. We were on a roll here at Pi Design this morning. Perhaps it was more of a rant. Please comment below, especially if you’re a designer. We would love to hear more reasons why we should not be getting paid for what we do.